What Is A Hand Mixer? – Everything You Must Know
Do you know that there are two types of mixers? There is a stand mixer and a hand mixer. Read on to learn what is a hand mixer and the good things you get from buying one.
Let's Define A Hand Mixer
A hand mixer is a portable kitchen device used to mix, whip, and beat ingredients for baking and cooking. Therefore, you can whip eggs, mix frostings, or mash potatoes using a hand mixer. It can either be manual or electric. But since it does not come with a stand, you will have to hold it when you use it to mix ingredients. Electric hand mixer comes with different speed setting to choose from.
Pros Of Getting A Hand Mixer
Here are some good things about choosing a hand mixer.
- Hand mixers are affordable compared to stand mixers.
- They are portable, so it means you can easily move them from your kitchen counter to your table if you want to.
- A hand mixer does not take much of your kitchen space. You can keep it in a cabinet or drawer for storage.
- It is much easier to clean it up.
Cons Of Getting A Hand Mixer
Here are some of the limitations when getting a hand mixer.
- Because it is smaller than a stand mixer, it comes with a smaller motor as well. Smaller motor means its mixing capacity is not that strong when compared to a stand mixer. Heavy mixing ingredients can be a challenge when you use a hand mixer.
You should not mix some ingredients using a hand mixer, such as nuts, dried fruits, or chocolate chips. For this, you will have to do it manually. Mix it by hand.
Unlike a stand mixer that has a stand to hold the bowl, you don't have that with a hand mixer. Therefore, what you are mixing can easily splatter if you are not careful and won't apply steady pressure.
- Since you will have to hold it and not just leave it to do its task, you can't multitask; unlike with a stand mixer that you can set to mix while you do the other food preparation steps.
Hand Mixer Cleaning Process
Hand mixers should be properly cleaned after use for storage. Here are the steps on how to clean a hand mixer.
- Pour warm water in a mixing bowl.
Get your dishwashing soap, and put a few drops in the warm water.
Hold the mixer, and beat the water and soap in the bowl. Make sure not to submerge the body of the mixer in the water.
Set the mixing speed to low and then switch to medium for about 1 minute.
Turn off the mixer.
Remove the beater from its body and rinse it with water.
- Dry with a clean cloth.
Now you know what is a hand mixer. Weigh its pros and cons before you decide if it is the correct mixer you should get.