What Is A Stand Mixer? – Pros And Cons Of Using One
A mixer provides great convenience in doing some food preparation steps. It helps make things faster compared to doing things manually. Some baking newbies are a bit confused as to what type of mixers they should get. In this article, let's talk about the stand mixer – what is a stand mixer plus other things you need to know.
Let’s Define A Stand Mixer
A stand mixer is a kitchen device with a gear in the middle. It automates the stirring, whisking, or beating process of food preparation. It has a body that holds the mixer and lets it stand alone. Therefore, you don't have to hold it to do the mixing compared to a hand mixer. It is usually used when mixing dough and other recipes that require heavy mixing.
The Pros Of Getting A Stand Mixer
Here are some of the advantages you get when you choose to buy a stand mixer.
- It will make the mixing, beating, or whipping process faster compared to a hand mixer.
- Stand mixers will allow you to multitask. Since it can function on its own, you can leave it to do its work while you do other tasks.
- It comes with useful attachments just like a dough hook, whisk, and paddle. It comes with its own bowl, too.
The Cons Of Getting A Stand Mixer
Some disadvantages that come with buying a stand mixer are as follows.
- It is expensive compared to a hand mixer.
- Stand mixers are usually big and heavy. Therefore, it will take up space in your kitchen counter.
- You can't use other bowls with a stand mixer. You will have to use the bowl that comes with it.
Stand Mixer Attachments
A stand mixer comes with some basic attachments. It also lets you have the option do accessorize and add more attachments to it. Basic stand mixer attachments are as follows.
- Dough hook, which you can use when you knead dough bread or other pastries that will require heavy mixing.
- Balloon whisk that you can use for whisking egg whites or cream.
- Mixer blade that will help you mix ingredients well from light to heavy-duty mixing.
Additional attachments that you can add to your stand mixer
- Ice cream maker – Used to make ice cream.
- Jug blender – This is typically used to make smoothies, juices, soup, and other puree food.
- Splash guard – It is a plastic lid put on top of the mixing bowl. This will help make sure that the ingredients you add will not splash while the mixer is running.
- Flexi beater – It looks like a rubber spatula that sweeps the side to help make sure that the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Food processor – It usually comes with a shredder, slicer, or grater.
- Pasta maker – It will help you make and cut your pasta.
- Juicer – Used for juicing vegetables and fruits.
Now you know what is a stand mixer. It can be very expensive, but if you are frequently baking bread or mixing heavy pastries, a stand mixer can be a good investment.